Dating from 1839, the church was the second "Irish" Catholic Church in Lemont proper (the oldest being St. James in Sag) and the first in downtown Lemont.
The first St. Patrick's church was a log cabin mission station at the intersection of State and Main Streets In August 1862, services moved to a wooden church built on Stephen Street near where the Central School is located. Construction of the current church, made of Lemont limestone, was started in 1895. It is at the intersection of Illinois and State Streets.
Historical data from the Lemont Area Historical Society and Museum
Symbols from St. Patrick Church Stained Glass Windows. Click on a symbol to enlarge the image.
A beautiful, marble statue of the Virgin Mary stands adjacent to the church. Symbolically, Mary, Mother of the Church watches over the main entrance of St. Patrick's Church
The Village of Lemont's motto is "Village of Faith." Its church spires and structures reflect the many ethnic groups who came here to quarry stone, dig the Sanitary and Ship Canal and work in other industries.
175th Anniversary Celebration
Click on photo to enlarge image
Our former pastor, Fr. Peter Dunn (1975-1990), with Gene Zolecki as his project supervisor, were researching the parish history in preparation for the 150th anniversary of the parish, when they came across a hand-written accounting by Father John Francis Plunkett. It read: “the expenditures for the churches at Juliet and Corkstown commenced April 25, 1839.” Fr. Dunne took this date to be the beginning of St. Patrick in Lemont. Therefore, April 25, 2014, we are 175 years old. Happy anniversary to St. Patrick Parishioners!
Below are photos taken from visits to our Parish from the Late Cardinal Francis George and from Archbishop Blase Cupich on November 14th 2015, as well as some photos taken at other parish activities.
Statues of St. Patrick Church
175th Anniversary History Pages